For a long time now I’ve been thinking about making my own running sandals, yes you did just read that Running Sandals. Basically I’m too cheap to buy them. So I finally bit the bullet and got to it. Took no time at all and they’ve turned out brill. Can’t believe how easy they were and how comfy they feel.
- A piece of A4 paper to draw your foot
- A pencil
- something for the sole i used an old car mat that i found at a garage
- some para cord for the laces (about 6ft for each)
- something to make holes in the sole (i used a drill bit but a leather punch would be better)
- A pair of scissors.
Instructions for Making Huaraches
- Put your foot on the paper and draw around your foot holding the pencil vertically.
- Mark the holes for the laces
- Cut out the shape then put it on top of your sole material.
- Use a pencil to mark the outline
- Cut out your sole.
- Mark the holes for your laces then punch your holes.
- Lace according to the videos below.
Normally I would make an instructional video for this kind of thing but the gusy at zero shoes have already done some great ones.
If you don’t want to be as budget as me then order the kits from Xero Shoes. They’re not much and you will end up with a slightly better result.
For the UK go to xeroshoes.co.uk
For the US go to xeroshoes.com
So make your own running sandals then give them a whirl and let me know what you think about them. When you start running in them make sure you start with small distances as you are using muscles that haven’t been used in this way before. If you’re interested in trying out barefoot running here’s a great site to get you started barefootbeginner.com